Did I ever mention that I have a small group of family and friends over every friday or saturday (sometimes both days!) for Gin Rummy? Yup! I'm an avid gambler too. Just Kidding! Gin Rummy is just an excuse for us to catch up and eat cake. The stake is only $10 each, the evening is filled with laughter and at the end of the game , the winner goes home with about $70 or $80 !
So Friday is Baking day because of Gin Rummy. When I don't have a lot of time on my hands I always make Friands because they are quick and easy to make. My 13 year old daughter Chloe made some recently for her teacher as a thank-you gift. Oh, before I forget, don't be alarmed to see "salted butter" in the recipe. I ALWAYS use salted butter in my cakes and cookies. It's just one of my idiosyncrasies in Baking!
For the Friand..
. 185g salted butter, melted
. 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
. 1 cup icing sugar
. 1 cup ground almonds
. 2 tsp vanilla extract
. 1/2 cup Sponge Flour
. 1 cup raspberries
For the White Chocolate Ganache..
. 160g white chocolate
. 3 tbsp thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 190C and grease friand tin.
- Place all ingredients except raspberries into a large bowl and stir till combined.
- Spoon mixture into friand tin, 1/2 full and top each friand with 3 raspberries.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Stand the friands in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to cool on a rack.
- Melt the white chocolate and cream in a microvave, stirring every 10 seconds till it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Leave the ganache to cool for 15 minutes before popping in into the fridge.
- Stir the ganache every 15 minutes to prevent it from setting.
- When the ganache is firm, ( about 45 minutes) remove from fridge.
- When the friands are completely cool, spoon a dollop of ganache on the top and dust with icing sugar.